January 6, 2015

Bow Ties


 My latest finish is this pair of bow ties:




I used a pattern from BurdaStyle.  I've used the pattern before, for this tie from 2012:


The pattern is a little short for a size 16 neck; the first one I made barely fits.  For the latest ties, I added a couple of inches to the straps.

The pattern includes a trick for turning the bow ties right-side-out.  It works well once you figure it out, but use strong thread, and double stitch the corners.  The thread used to pull the corners out broke on me once; I was worried that the stitches might break too.

The fabric in the black bow tie is from Parson Gray's inaugural line.  I used this fabric to make bias-cut binding for this quilt, and I set aside a few extra inches of the bias cut just for this purpose.  That means this tie has been in my head for over two years!


I managed to devote some time to making these ties when I ran out of thread for my current quilting project, and had to wait for an order of new thread to arrive.

The map fabric is from Tim Holtz's Eclectic Elements.  Both my teenagers were fascinated with this tie and fabric.  My daughter requested that I make her a travel wallet using it -- I'll have to figure out something for that next!

No comments:

Post a Comment